Friday, February 23, 2007

Mommy Night Out

I miss Louisville.

Not as much as I used to. I'm definitely not moving back there, so I just can't think about it. But every once in a while I feel like making a big -sigh-. Last night was one of those times.

I was a regular party animal in Louisville. It didn't matter what the event...it was fun. Even though I only live there for 18 months, I really felt like I clicked with the people I met and just fit in. Part of it is luck. But part of it is also that I am from that part of the country. That is MY culture. It was just easy to be me and have friends.

Now I'm here. Don't get me wrong. People are VERY friendly. But they are different. And I'm adjusting. Last night was my first "Mom's night out" since moving here. I am a bit attached at the breast to my daughter, so I won't get many of these until she is weaned. But this was a "Pre-Oscar" party at my neighbor's house just down the street, so I figured that I could just run back to my house if Lily woke up screaming and hungry.

"Pre-Oscar Party" basically equates into a "Sit-around-and-chat-about-nothing-party" because seriously...what mom has seen most of the Oscar nominated movies. I didn't even recognize 3 of the 5 supporting actress nominees, and I certainly had never heard of the movies they were in. In Louisville this would not have been a problem...we would have chatted and relaxed and had a great time. And we did the same thing last night...except these people are all from North Jersey. I am not judging. Okay, I'm kind of judging. But I'm not saying they are bad people or not nice people. They are just LOUD. And they talk FAST. And they talk over each other. And no one really listens to what anyone else is saying, unless it happens to be said in the 2 seconds that they are taking a breath. Which rarely happens.

This is more than a bit frustrating for me. I am the middle child...I get great pleasure from telling stories, making comments, etc. that make people laugh. Except I can't be heard in this group of women. Literally. Also, the ladies last night were all in their late 30s, early 40s. Not a big deal. Except the conversation was all about things that happened before my time. Again, not their fault, doesn't make them bad people...just was boring for me.

So moral of the story? I should have waited to have my kids in my 30s. There is no social group for a mom in her 20s. Also, I need to change my role in a group setting. I'm apparently going to be the quiet one, because I cannot compete with my nasally-loud new compatriots. This will be an adjustment. And finally, I need to not hang out with my neighbor, or crowds that include her. I hate to be a judgemental person, but I have noticed that whenever I go to anything that includes this woman and/or her child, I have an awful time and wish I lived back in Kentucky. I have playgroup today, (which she isn't a part of), and I'm sure I'll have a lovely time and feel refreshed and friendly about PA afterward. Isn't that terrible of me? She's not even a horrible person. I won't tell you why she gets to me, because that's even meaner than this mean post.

-sigh- I needed to whine. That's what this free therapy is for...some of the time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So what your saying is that being at your neighbor's party was like watching an episode of "The View"? We still need to get together sometime- I swear I'm not loud and I don't talk over people :)