Friday, February 09, 2007

Irrisistible Lily

So I had a dentist appointment this morning. There is a very strong family gene that makes going to the dentist akin to disemboweling or some other form of torture. I have miraculously escaped this family phobia. Actually, it may just be my mother and sister Kate. I don't know if my dad or Andrea hate the dentist quite that much.

I digress. I made an appointment because I haven't been to the dentist since we lived in California. So it's been almost 2 years. I have bad enamel and all four of my wisdom teeth are still in, so I like to go frequently to keep an eye on all this.

I dreaded going because the kids were going to have to come with me. What else am I supposed to do?

We normally have playgroup on Friday mornings. Last Friday, the mom hosting this week offered to take Andrew while I went to the dentist. BONUS! It helps that Andrew is virtually flawless at each playgroup. (And he was fantastic this morning...all the mom's were sure to compliment him when I got back...good boy!)

No one wanted Lily. Not because she isn't irresistibly cute. Or well behaved. It's because if she gets hungry...nobody but me can help her. That makes potential sitters very nervous...which I understand.

So I timed it perfectly. I kept her up all morning and fed her just before we left to drop Andrew off. Surely she would fall asleep in the car and then take a nice long nap in her car seat, enabling me to get my teeth cleaned. No such luck. She was WIDE awake by the time we got to the dentist. And she was acting very tired, but wouldn't sleep the whole time we were there. I was ready to just reschedule because how are they going to look in my mouth if I have to hold Lily the whole time? (because she will NOT stay in her car seat without crying...stubborn)

I ask the receptionist if I can reschedule, and she says, "Nonsense! I'll hold her!" This is after the same woman swooned over Lily for 5 minutes after we walked in. I felt really bad interrupting her work day, but she insisted. "It's Friday, after all. If I get busy I'll just give her to someone else." And that's what happened. As I'm getting my x-rays and teeth checked I hear the hygienists passing Lily around. She's squealing and giggling as they coo at her and bounce her around. I didn't end up getting my teeth cleaned...it took so long to x-ray and check all my sealants and crowns. And since I have to go in to get a filling or two anyway, they're just going to clean my teeth then. I'll be sure to leave Lily at home for the fillings...but now I feel kind of guilty. Those ladies sure had fun with my baby girl. They thanked ME as I was leaving...I felt so apologetic that they had to babysit during my appointment...they assured me it was a pleasure.

She is irresistible!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I can assure you I do not have the dentist phobia. I think it may come with the bad enamel. After all, I am trying to avoid having a root canal! But I don't even flinch at fillings... I had my first one in first or second grade!

Laura said...

I used to work in a doctor's office and we welcomed the mom's in your situation with their infants in tow. C'mon, getting paid to hold and cuddle a sweet, little girl and putting all of your "real" work aside for a little while ? No one ever complained.

Since becoming a mom and being on the flip side of the coin now, I have (unexplainably) felt the same sense of guilt by bringing Elaina to appointments too. Sometimes it's just unavoidable.

It sounds like you're going to a great office with a great staff!
Did you wear make-up for the cute doctor too?