Friday, March 16, 2007

Easter bunny breakfast

So I have friends again. ;)

Okay, so technically I have always had friends...they just don't live near me anymore. Let me start over so as not to insult these far away friends and end up with no friends for real.

So...I have friends in PA now!

I haven't mentioned the MOM's club lately, but I am still a bit disappointed in it. It is poorly organized, and they insist on following all the asinine rules that the "official" MOM's club insists you follow (only 1 evening event a month...whatever...limiting playgroup size...whatever). When I was co-president ever so briefly, I was astonished at all the rules. This is supposed to be a social club, right? So we should be able to make our own rules, right?

Anyhoo, not impressed with the MOM's club here. And there seem to be a few people who just rub me the wrong way (see my entry about the Oscar pre-party). But one very positive thing has come out of the MOM's club. My little playgroup.

It is a playgroup of rejects. Everyone who was not welcomed into a playgroup got together and formed a little Friday playgroup. Andrew is the oldest child by 6 months and Lily is the youngest child by 6 months (although Sharon is adding to our brood in August). I LOVE these ladies. There are 6 of us, and everyone is fun, understanding, has good kids, you name it. And one of the ladies is super organized and keeps organizing activities for us. The Easter bunny breakfast was at a NJ mall this morning.

I got Andrew all psyched for it. It was frickin' 80 degrees 48 hours ago, so I never imagined that sleet and snow would cause problems for us this morning. But we followed a NJ native to the mall and all was well. Andrew was all about the balloon animals...he stalked the lady making them and ended up with 4 total. His favorite? The sword. Yea...that's a great idea. You should have seen all the little boy swashbucklers. Then they had a facepainter. There were all these cutie little kids walking around with butterflies, chicks, eggs, you name it...Easter fun! Andrew refused. Until I told him that he could have whatever he wanted on his face. He perked right up and asked for a snake. Yes, a Happy Easter snake. Gotta laugh. He loved the Easter bunny, giving him many thumbs up (little dork). Andrew had asked me this morning if it was going to be the real Easter bunny. I told him we'd have to wait and see. When the big brown bunny appeared, Andrew turned to me and said, "It's the real thing I think" The Chick-filet cow made an appearance, to which Andrew said, "Why is that cow here?" Why indeed.

We came home in worsening weather (is worsening a word?). Many many cars flipped over and crashed in the median and side of the highway. Yikes. We were very glad to be home. Well, at least I was. Andrew was happily playing in the back of the car. We don't have tv in our car, so he is left to his imagination. He "made" me about 15 balloon animals while we drove 40 mph down the freeway. The conversation went like this:

Andrew- "Mommy, would you like me to make you a balloon animal?"
Giselle- "Yes, please --oh crap-- What can you --watch out moron!--what can you make me?"
A- "Whatever you want"
G- "How about a butterfly --Mother hubbard!--" (mother hubbard is my favorite mommy-cuss word. Instead of Mother f...you get the idea)
A- "Okay" pause as he waves his hands around "Here's a yellow butterfly. But it's the last one. If other kids want one I'll have to say that you have the last one"

So stinkin' cute.

Our other playgroup adventure in the planning stages? We're going to New York City to see Wicked on Broadway. And have dinner and stay the night. Just the mommmies. I am sooooooooooooo excited. It's not until July, so hopefully Lily won't be attached at the breast quite as much by then.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

I am adopting "Mother hubbard" into my vocabulary. Right. Now. Because it will be cute and funny even if Harper learns to repeat it. And "two" has been thinking mother hubbard a lot these days!

Swistle said...

Hello! I'm here for the first time--I clicked over from MO Mommy's blog because I liked your comment about baby names.

When my firstborn was a baby, I joined a mommy-and-baby type class. We all liked each other so much, we wanted to keep meeting after the group ended. We made the mistake of making it formal: we made it a MOMS Club. The rules, the rules, the gd rules. Before long we were all fighting all the time, some of us wanting to enforce every rule no matter how silly, and some of us wanting to break every rule no matter how important.

When we moved, I looked up the local MOMS Club anyway, thinking that maybe ours just had personality issues. No. This one was just as bad. Your playgroup sounds like a very good thing to come out of it.