Saturday, April 25, 2009

The clip show episode

Michael's new favorite activity. Fitting into the cabinets.

Andrew on Wacky Wednesday. Inside out pants, different socks, different shoes, Daddy's shirt, and Dr. Seuss hat. Fun day!

Andrew and Lily playing nicely. This lasted about 45 minutes...hence photo worthy. Moments like this make me really glad they have each other. And it helps to balance out all the fighting.



Newsflash: It is much harder to blog when you have 3 children. I know, I know, shocking. It is true that there is less time to sit and write a thoughtful blog. But also...there are 3 children all doing cute and funny things. So rather than one well put post, I seem to have a lot of posts like this...little groupings of crap. Kind of like when a sitcom puts together a "new" show that is really just a bunch of old clips. Fun...but not very creative.

So here comes my clip show:

1) Stop me if I've already told you this...Andrew is seriously transforming into a pre-pubescent girl. He is moody and emotional and says things like, "Sometimes I don't feel like I'm part of this family. I don't know why...my heart just feels it." Or if he doesn't get my attention immediately, "I think I'll go sleep for a million years. No one will care." Oh. My. God. I know it must be hard having two very needy younger siblings. But, honestly? It's been a year...let's adjust. (Gee, where does he get the lack of flexibility from...hmmm...let's think...)

2) Lily is a RIOT. She is often infuriating, but as her language gets clearer and clearer, she just cracks us up. Some of her latest...(uh-oh...we're going to go into an outline form)
a) "I have a kes-tion" This is usually said right before she goes into a long story about something. There is never a question at the end.
b) Lily spends a lot of time in time-out on our staircase. She was there this week for hitting, and she heard us turn on the tv for Andrew. She starts yelling, "Guys! I gotta get out of here, guys!"
c) Jeff came home from work this week and asked Lily what we had done. With a disgusted tone of voice, she said, "Nothin'"
d) She got out a game where you dress these bears with magnet clothes. I warned her that if she didn't play at the kitchen table, then Michael would probably want to play too. She played happily for a few minutes and then Michael started her way. She stood up, looked at me with a furrowed brow and said in the most pleasant voice, "I'm going to get MAD." Then Michael changed direction and she said, "Oh! Dat's okay. I not be mad anymore." and sat down to play.
e) She is infernally bossy. Is infernally a word? I don't care. She tells Andrew what he should eat for breakfast, she tells Michael what he should play with, she tells us what music to listen to, what color is our favorite, what shows to watch, and what activities we should be doing. We, for the most part, do not listen to her. Must be frustrating...maybe that is why she tantrums so much.
f) She regularly refers to Michael as "my brudda". She never refers to Andrew that way.

3) Michael is showing his smarts. Unfortunately for me, his smarts are of the "figuring it out" variety. For example, he has found that he can chew up the dog food easier if he dips it in the water bowl first. Uh, yea, gross. I was lying Lily on her bed to change her and Michael booked it over to the stack of clean ones and handed us about 6 clean diapers. Then he wandered off to do something else. Like he KNEW what we were doing. He calls Jeff dada. He points at everything and asks, "Dah?" He WILL NOT say mama...instead smiling mischievously and saying dada when I ask. He giggles maniacally at Shadow...he loves to hit her with things, pull her hair, and most of all feed her. She snapped at him a few days ago when he had a good handle on her collar. He was so so so upset...like he'd been betrayed by his best friend.

4) I'm confused about phrases such as "hooked up" and "worked out". When someone sees a person who they "hooked up" with, does that mean sex? Making out? Went out on a date? I don't know how to imagine it in my head. And "worked out"...does that mean at a gym? Or does just a stroll around the neighborhood count?

5)I signed us up for professional portraits next Saturday. Lily hasn't had one done since she turned 1. Our family not since Andrew was 9 months old. We'll see how it goes. I've got the big plan to get a nice family portrait every 5 years of our marriage so that when I'm old and gray I will have a big wall of pictures from our wedding day on showing our family changing in 5 year increments. I'm kind of hoping that someone will be crying or harassing each other, that my eyes will be baggy and tired and Jeff will look like he wants to escape. Because otherwise it won't be an accurate depiction of this time in our lives. Of course, that's what this blog is for.

6) I'm walking in the March of Dimes walk tomorrow morning. I signed up months ago, but never asked for money, because that makes me uncomfortable. Now it looks like it's going to be in the 90s. 6 mile walk in 90 degree heat? This could well be my last post.

7) Jeff and I are spending every night discussing our anniversary trip -ALONE- to the Adirondacks in June. I'm worried that once it is finished we won't have anything to talk about. Except how we never get to be alone ;) Or how many poopy diapers we've changed that day.

Speaking of marital bliss, I think Jeff is going to leave me if I don't help him with the kids right now. Of course, he wouldn't...our deal is still whoever initiates the divorce gets the kids. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the many smiles and chuckles I got from this "clip show." It was just what I needed to remind me that kids can be cute and funny...any tips on how to recall that the moment before I threaten to make them stay in their rooms until they're 18?

Andrea said...

great post! I agree that it is hard to get everything down when there are 3 kids doing cute things!
Our 3 sound identical! We really need to get them together!

Sara said...

Maybe Andrew doesn't feel like part of the family because Lily never refers to him as "Brudda"?