Monday, April 27, 2009

Rip Van Winkle

So...um...I think I must have fallen asleep for a few months. Because last thing I remember, it was Tuesday, April 21 and it was in the 40s and raining. But now it is in the 90s. So I slept until, like, August, right?

Oh, no, wait...that's right. There's no sleeping in this house. It's too damn hot. -sigh- Someday I'm going to live in a one-story house so there isn't the 20 degree discrepancy between the first and second floors.

Okay, enough complaining about the hot weather. No, wait, one more thing. Okay, so I'm SUPER grouchy when I'm hot. SUPER. I like the cold because you can always add one more layer of warmth to your body...or drink something warm, etc. to help change your temp. But when it's HOT...oh...you just can only get down to the skin. And then the hot children still want to be held and cuddled. And your husband still wants to... Ugh. I just am crabby. And if I were to move to Houston...this would be December. Oh. My. God. If we ever have to move to Texas, I think I will just shoot myself in the head. Because living with this heat in the WINTER....I can't even imagine how I would react to the summer temps.

Seriously. Enough.

Oh, and I need advise about my dog. And apparently how to spell advice. Michael is OBSESSED with her...as I have mentioned. And he is not gentle. And he is super-de-duper excited and squealy when near her. And she has started snapping at him. No teeth on skin...yet... I wouldn't blame her...who would want harassment from a 1 year old. Except that he is slow and not walking and not climbing. She is quick and agile...there is no reason she can't just move away from him. But she CHOOSES to sit next to him. She CHOOSES to stay near him. And when he starts to pull on her or touch her, she should just WALK AWAY. He is not very fast (compared to her).

So I don't know what to do. It is too hot to leave her outside whenever Mikey's awake. I can't really shut off a room to keep her in. I can't put her in her box, because Mikey's even more obsessed with her when she's in there, and then she really is cornered. I can't watch Mikey's every move and intercept each exchange between him and the dog because I have two other children. I am trying to teach him how to be gentle, like I did with the other 2 kids. I just am not around him as much as I was with the other two (terrible sounding, I know). But because Shadow is too STUPID to walk away, I don't know what to do. I would feel horrible if she finally did bite and hurt Michael. She's really a good dog...just dumb. Any advice would be appreciated. ;)

4 comments:

d e v a n said...

I'm not sure what to tell you about the dog. Our cat is like that. The baby pounces on him and rips his hair out before I can cross the room and yet the cat doesn't run away! Ugh.
Maybe she could have a little room gated off until the phase passes?

Kate said...

Watch the dog whisperer. Kick her a** when she even thinks about snapping. Grab her and put her tummy up until she relaxes and gets submissive. She'll learn how to move-- fast. Tsss (that's the sound he makes) Of course, I am a non-dog owner. The show is cool.

Kelsey said...

I have no advice, but I'm sorry - that would stress me out about the dog.

I know, I'm so helpful!

Sara said...

The dog whisperer comment sounds about right. That's pretty much how I trained Avery. The other option would be getting a little muzzle for shadow to wear when Mike's around her. Not the most humane option, but it's better than Mike getting hurt. You should check out a pet store, I think they have some that aren't so rigid and would be a little more comfortable for her.