Thursday, November 10, 2011

After all that...

...playgroup has been cancelled because Lily is sick. 

She was acting kind of droopy all day.  Very scientific of me, eh?  Droopy.

Now it is 10:30 and she is coughing like mad.  Well, I can't really tell how bad it is, because she is so damn dramatic.  But she seems to be having a hard time breathing without coughing. 

And I hate dealing with kids' coughs.  Nothing works.  They just have to get through that horrible first and sometimes second night.

I gave her honey.  It did nothing.  As usual.

Vicks is on her chest.  Doesn't seem to do anything.  Ever.

And there is a humidifier in her room.  Cold air, since the hot ones are dangerous.  They do a pretty good job of making the floor and bed wet, but I'm not sure they help the coughing.

And she has been given a popsicle, because popsicles seems to cure all ills.  Except that she is just kind of holding it as she sits in her dad's lap and coughing pathetically.

-sigh-

Looks like it's going to be a long night...

4 comments:

bluedaisy said...

Well, at least you have a game plan for next time ;) Hope you all get some rest & that Lily feels better soon!
P.S.: Jeff's "daddy playdate" comment from a prior post cracked me up- so typical of men!

Pamela said...

I agree, those cold air humidifiers are a joke. They do NOTHING. I'm a bad mother who uses the warm air humidifiers with my children. They work beautifully...the coughing/stuffed up kid sleeps peacefully all night. Or until early morning when the water runs out in the humidifier. And, yes, inevitably one of the kids puts their hand too close to the steam but it's not hot enough to burn them. Just a nice little shock of heat and then the other three don't go anywhere near it. Worth it :)

Sick kids suck...good luck!

CARRIE said...

Isn't that always the way? We've had the cough junk over here for weeks....the kids recovered fine. It's me and D that are still hacking our brains out. Hope Lily perks up quickly.

d e v a n said...

Aw, sorry she's not feeling well. I think the cold air humidifiers work well for us, but we also live in a humid climate so that might help.
Try the Vicks on her feet with socks on, it always helps with my kids coughing at night.