Monday, November 14, 2011

Speech progress

I don't think I've mentioned it here...but Michael has been making astounding strides with his speech.

You know it's good when you meet his new speech teacher, and after a few weeks she admits that he's already met all the goals in his IEP.  He has consistent ending and middle sounds.  His articulation is basically at age level now.  People understand him easily...or as easily as they would any 3 year old.  It is very exciting.

So now he is working on his lisp...that Daffy Duck thing he does with his tongue for /s/.  He also is terrible with /s/ blends...he basically always leaves the s off when it is paired up in /st/,/sl/, /sp/ or /sw/.  I'm probably forgetting some... But this is why he was "Piderman" for Halloween.  He didn't like Pooky houses with piders.  He does like tickers and top signs.  He wakes up from his nap all weaty. He also omits the blend in the middle of words...and I can't think of any examples right now.

Every speech appointment, she tells me what they've been working on.  It is always prefaced with, "Now, this is totally age appropriate, but we're working on it anyway."  To which I asked if he was even going to qualify when he is reassessed in April.  She said she wants to keep him anyway if it's okay with me.  Huh?  Maybe this is why there isn't room for kids who really need the help...like Michael was 6 months ago when they couldn't find me a therapist?

Whatev's.  He's doing great.  He is understood.  He never shuts up.  It's fantastic.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Go Michael!

Our Michael is making strides in this dept. as well - we get speech through preschool.

He did the same w/ s blends. BUT with ALL s blends. My favorite was "poon" for "spoon". And "mall" for "small" threw me every. single. time. Could never figure out why my three-year-old was talking about the mall!

Glad Michael is doing so well - it is kind of weird that they want to keep working if he's doing well - in the school system it's one thing, but in your home? That seems strange.

CARRIE said...

G has the same problem with /st/ and /sp/ words. Except he likes Fiderman and doesn't like fiders.

I have been wondering whether G will be accepted back in at his 1-year evaluation. I hope he is solely because I worry that his speech issues with s-words could potentially harm him when it comes to reading and writing. If he says them wrong, even if I can understand what he's talking about, then will he read them wrong or have trouble spelling.

I'd rather him stay in next year then let him out and then realize he has reading problems because of his speech....and have lost that year.