Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My sick day

Woke up with throat on fire.  Drink hot cup of coffee.  Drink hot cup of tea. 

Jeff leaves.

Feed kiddos breakfast.  Rather, serve kiddos breakfast.  Break up several fights, much to the dismay of my throat.  Get them dressed, hair done, homework finished, lunch made.  Shuffle Andrew out the door.  Michael begins hysterically crying because he has to go to school.  Drag him to car.  Drag him into school. 

Lily and I run errands...mostly because of expiring coupons and the fact that I don't want to have to entertain her at home.  She needs new shoes, I get a hair cut, we stop at the grocery for more popsicles.  Back at home, Lily plays by herself very well while I drink another cup of hot tea and eat a second popsicle (the first one I downed in the car).  I finally wise up and take some Advil.  Duh.

Lily and I run to get Michael from school.  His teachers say he was just "off" today.  We go to the park for a pre-scheduled picnic playdate.  Michael plays a little...cuddles with me a lot.  He eats all his lunch.  Lily has eaten almost nothing in 3 days...complaining that her ear hurts every time she tries to eat or sleep.

Come home from playdate and put Michael down for a nap.  Tell Lily that Mommy needs to rest.  Make another cup of tea.  30 minutes later, Michael wakes up hysterically crying.  He is feverish and saying OW, but unable to pinpoint where it hurts.  We cuddle up together and all three have a popsicle.  Lily is whimpering that her ear hurts, I can't swallow or talk easily, Michael is just shivery and miserable.  I leave them huddled up on the couch watching Dora to make phone calls (and blog...of course?)

I call and make a doctor's appointment, and convince the nurse that they should be able to squeeze both my children in on one appointment this afternoon instead of 2 separate appointment 1 hour apart. 

I've set up a neighbor to watch Andrew while I take them.  I call Jeff to make sure he picks up Andrew when he gets home from work and feeds them both dinner.  Andrew has swim lessons tonight at 6:45.  I will have to come home from the doctor and probably pharmacy and make the littles dinner...which they won't likely eat, and then put them to bed.

I anticipate that at 7:15 I'll be able to change into my pajamas and curl up under a blanket with yet another cup of tea and watch some tv.

Some sick day.  In hind sight, I should have just come home from pre-school drop off and watched a movie with Lily.  I wasn't expecting the afternoon to be quite so unrestful.  Shame on me.  This day could have gone better.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Ugh. So sorry, those days are the worst. And it's hard to slow down cuz you know being at home won't be fun either.

Wait...did you casually mention that you got a haircut? With Lily in tow? How do you keep her entertained? I guess at age 5 that could work...I just haven't considered being able to take any of them for that errand yet. Hmmm...

d e v a n said...

Ugh, sorry!! I hope you feel better soon!

CARRIE said...

You poor thing. Feel better soon. Hope the kiddos do too.