Monday, June 28, 2010

Funny Michael

--When Michael wakes up for the day or from his nap, he yells, "Ma! Big Nap, MA!" And when you enter the room he says, "Whoa. Big nap. Me. Big nap." It's like he's trying to convince you that it is time to get him out of bed. So cute.

-- I have always had a weakness for kid's armpits. I know it sounds weird...okay it IS weird...but when I see them, I have to tickle them. Especially when they're babies...I cannot resist. This is a frequent diaper change torture. Except with Mike, when I nuzzle in one and he giggles and squeals and says, "No Ma!"...immediately after he holds up the opposite arm and says, "Mo?", offering up the other for tickles. Then he lifts up his shirt and points at his belly button. And so I oblige for more tickles.

-- I took him to Barnes and Nobles to play with their trains. We don't have toys trains in the house, and I've never taken him to B&N because what would the other 2 children do while Michael played trains? Well, they might have to figure it out when they get back, because Michael LOVES it. He plays happily for a few moments, then looks up at me with pure delight and exclaims, "Look, Ma! Trains! Choo-choo!". Every few minutes he repeats this. So stinkin' cute. Until we have to leave. Whew! Tantrums in book stores sound even louder.

--He is obsessed with vehicles of any type. He points out train tracks whenever we go out. He squeals with delight when we pass construction sites. And he carries around at least 2 Matchbox cars wherever he goes. He loves them. Luckily, we still have 1,234,554 of them from when Andrew was obsessed. And yet, Andrew could care less. Score another point for the 4.5 year age spacing, will ya?

-- He is fascinated by the kitchen construction. Our contractor is very friendly and nice, and tolerates Michael's close inspection with patience and kindness. He was cutting our floor to make space for the new cabinets, and it was LOUD! and SMELLY! and REALLYREALLYLOUD! And Michael just stood nearby, squatting down on his haunches, watching with rapt attention. Future builder?

-- I have been surprised how smart Michael is...alternating with how far behind he is. This poor child is certainly getting the short end of the 3 child family stick. I've been trying to cram 2 years worth of teaching into this week. What does he know? Colors...everything is green. Numbers and counting? He repeats "eight-nine-eight-nine-eight-nine" when he's counting something. Letters? Somehow this one is getting through his head...except that he only knows the sounds the letters make, not the names of the letters. I need to etch out more one on one time with this kid...end of story. Positive? In taking him out and about, his social skills are amazing...sharing, taking turns, standing his ground with pushy older kids.

2 comments:

CARRIE said...

What a sweet little boy. Glad you are having time to enjoy just him.

Kelsey said...

He sounds completely adorable.

I actually had a dream that we were together with Just our Michaels last night and trying to get them in a photo but neither would cooperate. In my dream my Michael was giant and I was afraid he would hurt your Michael, but that seems unlikely!

Obviously I'm thinking of you.