Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Ow! Ear!

Yesterday was a bust.

From the moment Michael woke up at 5:45 am screaming, "Ow! Ear!" (although it was pretty cool that he could tell me what was wrong). We spent the next 4 hours waiting for our doctor's appointment, with pain killers not even putting a dent in the pain. TV rules were thrown out the window, as I rocked the poor little guy while watching Super Why, Curious George, Sesame Street, etc. Any time I would leave the room to do laundry, dishes, get the other kids something to do...he would follow me and moan and want to be picked up. Very clingy and needy...and very frustrating that I couldn't help him.

Our doctor's appointment was for 10:20...and I got there 15 minutes early hoping we would get in early, since I had to get home to watch my friend's kids so she could go to the dentist. We sat in the waiting room until 11:00, and then in the examination room until 11:40. At one point, I forced Andrew to sit out in the hallway away from his siblings...that's how awesome it was. Got the prescription for Mikey's ear (4th infection in 6 months in just the same one ear...and no cold or anything contributing...I see tubes in this boy's future). Call my friend whose children were supposed to come to my house, and explain that I'm not going to be home in time (I'd called her earlier that morning to give her a head's up). Drive thru pharmacy tells me they would like at least 2 hours to mix up his prescription. I lower the car window to let them hear Mikey crying and holding his ear, still yelling, "Ow! Ear!" She has it ready for me in 10 minutes.

It is now 12:15. Andrew's bus comes at 12:50. We race home, and I dash around getting lunches and medicine dolled out. Michael goes to bed at 12:45...poor little thing. Lily takes her shoes off and refuses to come to the bus stop...I leave her behind to walk Andrew to bus stop. Back at the house, I ask Lily for my alone time, so I can eat lunch and take a breath without a 2 year old hanging on me. She asks me for something every 10 minutes...I know because I wrote down the times. She went to the bathroom twice, she needed help reaching a game, she wanted to tell me she loved me 5 times, she wanted me to let Shadow in and out a few times. Very relaxing...but I can hardly blame her. It had been a boring morning for her as well.

Michael only slept for one hour, so we were back to the clinging...although the crying was less. TV was turned on and popcorn dolled out. We went outside and played a bit. Then went to get Andrew from the bus stop. Played outside some more. Michael was finally feeling better. Since it was a fencing lesson night for Jeff, we ordered pizza and watched a movie. Michael went to bed at 6:45 pm. Lily and Andrew and I read 4 books and played Uno 6 times. Time for bed at 7:30. Lily refused to go. Screaming and kicking. Very unusual. I literally threw her onto her bed and held the door shut. She almost fell asleep right then.

8:00...Momma time. Which meant folding the 5 baskets of laundry waiting for me in the basement.

-sigh- one of those days.

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

yikes. Sorry. :( I hope he feels much better today

Sarah said...

Poor baby! And poor mom.