Monday, June 28, 2010

A week with no pictures

I have taken not one single picture with Mike this week. Not one.

-sigh-

A few things I've learned this week:

-- Michael does not miss his siblings. He remembers them as he points to their pictures in the family room. But he does not ask for them or act sad. He is only 2 after all.

-- Michael *mostly* likes all the attention. It is hard to tell if he is annoyed that we are watching him so closely...or if he is annoyed because we keep running after him yelling, "Don't go in the kitchen! Don't touch that! No! Daddy is painting but you cannot. No! That is Simon's power tool." etc etc etc.

-- Just because you take a child somewhere by themselves does not mean you will have a good time. Logically, I knew this. I mean, I had Andrew all by himself for 3 years straight...and this blog has a lot of documentation of disastrous outings. But I had really built up how wonderfully fun and easy it would be to take Mike to places just for him. How much he would LOVE being with mommy. But it turns out he is 2. So he gets to randomly decide if he is going to be an enjoyable little angel or a screaming tantruming demon. We have had some really memorable outings...and I'll leave it at that.

-- One kid is really kind of easy. I mean, Jeff and I wanted to paint the toy room this weekend. So while one person painted, the other just kept an eye on one kid. Seriously. We wasted those 3 years of having only 1 kid. So let me applaud those of you who wisely chose the one kid route. On the other hand...ohmygodImissAndrewandLily. Bring on the crazy 3-kid juggling circus...because I love them and miss them and it just isn't RIGHT around here without them. ***

-- We leave Wednesday morning for South Carolina via Ohio. I have no sink, no counter tops, no lighting, no food. I believe I'll be able to get packed and ready in time, but homecoming in 2 weeks is going to BLOW. Can you imagine dragging yourself 13 hours home only to find there are no dishes, no groceries, no where to pluck all your CRAP in the kitchen. Ugh. I'm imagining it. But then I peek around the corner to the kitchen and I see my beautiful new cabinets, and I know it is worth it.

-- My contractor only worked 2 1/2 days last week. I feel really annoyed and irritable about it...except that he is totally going to finish in time for the counter top templating. So I guess I have nothing to gripe about. Except for that whole, "no sink for the weekend" thing...which totally could have been avoided if he'd worked a whole day Friday. Whatev-


***Giselle reserves the right to change her opinion once reunited with the older two.

2 comments:

CARRIE said...

OMG, having 1 child these days is a walk in the park. Ramping up to 3 kids has been mind-blowing. But it is so, so, so freakishly quiet. Can't wait to see that finished kitchen.

d e v a n said...

Um, yeah, I'd be reeeeeallllly annoyed about the sink thing.