Monday, June 21, 2010

Kitchen before pictures

Monday begins construction! I am giddy with excitement.

Before I show you pictures, let me acknowledge that I have a very nice kitchen. I am getting it redone for cosmetic reasons...which seems really...I don't know...let's just say I acknowledge that it is a lot of money to redo a perfectly good kitchen. Except for the bolts coming out of the side of that one cabinet. And the two center panels of the cabinets that are cracked and loose. And the scratched counters that probably harbor all kinds of bacteria. And the ancient ceiling fan that collects dust and then blows it down on our food. Other than THAT... we will also probably be moving in the next 5 years or so. And we will have a much easier time selling this place if the kitchen is remodeled.

We are getting all new oak cabinets with quartz countertops. Cabinets and appliances go in next week...counters in the next 3 weeks. We can't template for the countertops until the new cabinets are completely installed.

The old kitchen: (These are in no particular order...)

Side view of the arm of counters...notice there is a half-sie breakfast bar-ish thingy there. That will be gone. No idea where Shadow's cage will be kept, as there will be a new cabinet door opening over on that side.

Here is another shot of our dorky half-sie breakfast bar thingy. Again, will be narrowed. Also, we will be extending it out one and a half cabinets...(adding a pull-out trash cabinet and 4 drawers.)

The sink will get slightly wider. There will be new recessed lighting, so the ceiling fan (viewable in the reflection) will be gone and a new light over the sink will help with the shadow issues I have when doing dishes at night. New dishwasher has also been ordered. Stainless...because that's what the people want (everything for resale...) Also, cabinet directly next to the window will be double doored.

Let's see...the cabinets on this side aren't changing much. Except that we will be putting a new microwave over the stove...and getting a sweet-a$$ new stove as well.

The fridge area. We are not getting a new fridge at this time since we just bought this one when we moved to KY (5 years ago), and we already have a spare fridge in the basement. But we are making the above fridge cabinets smaller, so we can fit a bigger fridge someday. Or the next owners can ;) The other larger cabinets will lose the middle bar, making them super wide. Also the drawers will turn into one big drawer. I envision this becoming my phone/calendar space.


I cannot wait to show during and after shots!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those cabinets and counters must have been standard when our houses were built (mine in 1992) and I can't WAIT to rip it out!! Unfortunately, I have to have a new bathroom before I even start on our kitchen. :-(

CARRIE said...

So excited for you, and I know will be envious once I see everything completed!!!

Kelsey said...

I would LOVE to do a kitchen remodel someday (eventually we will, or we'll move). A couple of years ago we did a kitchen update which involved new countertops and a new sink, and that helped (our counters had been tomato red!). I cannot wait to see the after pictures.