Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Strawberry picking

Last Wednesday was Lily's last day of school. I decided to actually bring a camera for once to document the event, and the only picture I took was of Lily on the playground. FAIL.

On the way home from her school, we noticed that the farm on the corner had put up their Strawberry picking sign. So I decided that it would be our first SSC field trip.

When I popped into the market to grab a box for the strawberries, the lady told me that they were pretty much picked clean over the Memorial Day weekend. But the kids were geared up and ready to go, and the weather was pretty much perfect, so we drove to the field and I let the kids loose.


All 3 of them had a blast. I had a blast. It was so much fun to watch them run through the rows searching for red berries. And since they were picked through, it took a little searching to find them. Even Michael was in on the act...although he picked quite a few white berries at first.








It was a bit reassuring to see how much fun I could have out and about with the 3 kids alone and in a new place. Andrew and Lily are really good listeners, and even Michael is learning the rules (like don't run out into the street...basic rules, people). I know that all of our summer outings won't go as well as yesterday, but I'm glad that the FIRST activity went well. It fills me with anticipation and eagerness as we enter the summer season.

4 comments:

memere said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Lily's hair.

Kelsey said...

You're going to be my inspiration for ever leaving the house this summer - if you can do it with three, maybe I can handle two?

Looks like fun!

d e v a n said...

Success! Awesome!

bluedaisy said...

It's so nice when things go well! It makes me want to do the same. I really liked your idea of having a structure to the week & I am going to attempt to follow your lead. Good job Mom!!