Saturday, November 27, 2010

7...in New York City

Andrew turned 7 years old today.

I asked him months ago if he would like to have a birthday party. He had one when he turned 5, but not when he turned 6. I kind of thought every other year would be do-able for me.

He declined. He said he would rather have a day alone with Jeff and I like last year. Which is alternately sweet and kind of sad that he craves alone time that much.

Anyway, we decided to go to New York City with him. Something I've been wanting to experience with him, but am too chicken to take all 3 kids into the big, bad city. ;)

My parents were supposed to come for the weekend, but with all the grandma troubles, the last thing they needed was to tack on a 10 hour trip...one way. My in-laws ended up selling their Michigan/OSU tickets to come. Let me say that again...sold their Michigan/OSU tickets. That they had. That they planned to use. If my kids ever say they aren't loved...

So we left this morning, just Jeff, Andrew, and me. Andrew talked non-stop on the way to the train station. He was asking in depth questions about the Civil War and the involvement of New York in wars and if our family members had been in the early wars of this country. Wow. Conversations we could never have with the other rugrats around.

We got on the train and into the city no problem. Jeff is a pro with the trains/subways/etc. I wander like a chicken with its head cut off. I'm too distracted by all the people and cars and noises and smells and lights and tall buildings and street performers and etc etc. Chicken with head cut off. I sat with Andrew on the 90 minute train ride. He and I discussed why people would buy houses right next to a train track, and why people need heart transplants (ad for a hospital in one of the train stops), and a million different things dealing with trains (why does he punch a hole out of your ticket/what does the hole punch mean/why does he wear that hat/why don't I have a ticket/ etc etc etc.). The Riddler.

Once we got into the city, I thought Andrew was going to have a terrible time. He looked very intimidated and scared. He pressed up really close to me. I quickly explained that he should stick with Dad...because if push came to shove, Dad would be able to get him back home. I would be wandering the underbelly of New York for weeks trying to find the way back. But after an hour or so, he was charging through the crowds and reading signs and confident as all heck.

We came upon Macy's straight away. It is beautiful. We showed Andrew right where the Macy's Day Parade was filmed. We recognized the half naked Victoria Secret billboard that was in the background of all the performances on tv Thanksgiving morning. Anyhoo, we went inside to see the first escalator (it's wooden) and perhaps catch a glimpse of Santa. Whooo-buddy. No way. The Saturday after Turkey day is still a shopping hay day. It was a sea of people. An ocean. They had bouncers at the top and bottom of each escalator to help manage the crowd. So we quickly got out of there...not what we came to see. But it was beautifully decorated.

Outside Macy's we enjoyed the window displays. Each window has a different chapter of a story. When you are standing under the awning, you can only hear that particular chapter. And the characters move and spin and it is magical. Andrew was entranced. Our pictures are terrible...



Then we meandered up 5th avenue. They have a store named Saks...among others :) Andrew and I gawked at the Empire State Building while Jeff squirmed in embarrassment. We marveled at the store decorations for Christmas. In front of Trump Towers is a huge snowflake suspended over the street. Many many buildings are coated in lights. It must be quite beautiful at night. We got no pictures of these things.
We did get a picture of the New York Public Library. Because...you know...that's how I am. And it took all my restraint not to go in. ;)


We wandered some more. We ended up walking about 2 miles total. It was cold, but a beautiful day.

We got lost in the underbelly of Rockefeller Plaza. We took a random picture in front of Andrew's Ties. We saw the ice skating rink (tiny) and the line for the ice skating rink (enormous) and the Christmas tree (impressive, but Crystal Cathedral's was better). We shopped in FAO Schwartz (meh...but I had very high expectations).


Andrew wanted a shot of this store. He thought it was HI-Larious. -sigh- He's seven.

We got to Central Park and then got on a subway back to Times Square. We ate lunch and wandered around...gazing dizzily up at all the tv screens and neon lights. By this point we'd already missed the train we thought we would catch home. But Andrew really wanted to see the ferris wheel inside Toys R Us at Times Square. So we did...
(this is a ferris wheel. inside. a 3 story toy store. it was crazy busy. and crazy.)

Then we took the subway back to Penn Station and headed home. Andrew amazingly did not fall asleep on the ride back.
We picked up a pie (I've been in NYC all day...what can I say) at Andrew's favorite pizza joint, and then went home to a very excited Lily and Michael.
We had cake (which Mikey kept saying...Eat Big Cake? Eat Big Cake?)


And it was a great day. Just appreciating our first baby. He's so much fun ;)

6 comments:

CARRIE said...

Totally can't believe he is 7. And mine will soon follow. Wish I could visit NYC again. Love it.
Glad you weren't left wandering the streets.

Anonymous said...

Lots of wonderful memories of going into the CITY with my parents.

memere said...

Opps....that was memere.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous day! I've never been to NYC. Going without a guide scares me. Now that you're a pro maybe you can take me when I come for a visit next year :)

Happy Birthday, Andrew!

Michelle said...

WHAT A GREAT DAY! I bet he will remember it always!

bluedaisy said...

Looks like fun :)