Friday, November 05, 2010

Thinking of making a switch

When we moved here 4 years ago (omg...4 years ago...more on that tomorrow...), I looked around at pre-schools a bit. I eventually got him into a program that took kids who turned 3 in the fall, but missed the school cut-off date. In the process, I fell in love with the school. And we have been there ever since...Andrew went 2 more years and Lily is in her 2nd year there.

I love so many things about this school. 3 teachers per classroom. A bathroom attached to each classroom, so they don't have to break as a class to go to the potty. A music program. A physical education program. An emphasis on the social/emotional development as opposed to academic (until the 4's program). The downside has always been that it is in another school district, so while it is close to us, noone else in the school lives in our town or will end up in our elementary school.

I've been thinking about next year. When Lily and Michael are both pre-school students. At our current school, we're talking a potential monthly bill of $500-$600 dollars. A month. For PRE-SCHOOL. There is a school just down the street from us that comes highly recommended and is much much cheaper. I toured it when we first moved here and liked it. There are not nearly the ammenities. But, again, it is PRE-SCHOOL. Where you learn about colors and numbers and that we don't spit on our neighbors in story time or stick buttons in our ears.

So I'm thinking about switching. Downside...I could spend the year comparing apples and oranges and missing our old school. Upside...I could meet some parents that will move onto our elementary school.

And the sad thing is, I'll have to make a decision soon. Registration is in January for both schools.

I know it won't matter either way. Again with the ONLY PRE-SCHOOL. And the cost won't break us. As some of my "helpful" friends have pointed out, Lily and Michael will be in college at the same time for minimum 3 years. Ouch. And Lily's first year of college, Andrew will still be in.

Yah...perhaps the money I save next year on pre-school should just go directly into the college fund. ;)

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm having a very similar debate. Katy's school has all those bells and whistles that you talked about, I've been very happy there, it's about an 8 minute drive. It's in our district, but our district is so large that so far I haven't met anyone that would go to the same elementary (I know, crazy). Meanwhile, there is a preschool within walking distance to my house. Much smaller, same price, not as many amenities. I've heard some really good things, one little story of a mean teacher, but I'm wondering if next year when I have one in kindergarten and one in preschool, they both start at 9, and we'd be walkers for kindergarten...would it just be easier to take David to the closer one? But I really like Katy's school, too, so I don't know. I tend to have a "grass is always greener" mentality, so I'm wondering if that's my problem. But yeah, have to decide by February.

bluedaisy said...

I had to switch preschools this year- for financial reasons mostly. But we did not have the history with the old school. Both boys only went there from March to May of this year. It would have been $350+ for them to go- Michael 3 day and Liam 2 day. It just wasn't feasible and I waited so long to decide that they were full. I found another preschool for around $200- both boys 3 days, same schedule. It has been LOVELY! I don't regret the change and I was sure nothing would measure up to the last one. No weekly swim lesson but we can conquer that one another way...I don't think Michael got much out of it last year anyway. Good luck deciding!!

Unknown said...

Good luck! Your post reminded me that I needed to contact the preschool that Jamie went to about sending Elisabeth there next year for their 2's class (2 mornings a week). If you leave your present preschool, will it make you feel like you are breaking up with them? It would me. Not that you should stay just because of that..