Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Beautiful day

Today is one of those fall days. The kind that make me yearn for fall all the rest of the seasons.

Anyhoo,

I had my first meeting with the case manager for Michael's Early Intervention Evaluation. She was very nice. And Michael was exceedingly friendly towards her. I had been a little frightened that he would go to a corner and hide tornado warning style all while mewing like a cat. He did that in our class last week when the teacher asked him what stuffed animal he'd brought in. I was a little concerned that behavior like that might get him labeled severely disturbed. But instead, Mikey was showing her all the artwork he's done, "I made dis!" and introducing her to his cars and buses, and doing adorable things that even I've never seen him do before. Like pick up the phone and say, "Call Me!" (call Memere). And then put the bus up to the phone and say, "Bus call me!"

Needless to say, I was sitting there answering the questions that she was asking...all while he is contradicting all my worries in the background. She was laughing at his pretend play and said, "I do have some children on my caseload that have serious issues. But many many of them are 2 year old boys who just need a little prodding in the right direction."

Anyway, I said all the things I swore I wouldn't...like blaming myself for him not talking, telling her how much tv he watches (embarrassing!), and going on and on about how good he is at other things besides talking. Ugh. Just answer the questions and don't elaborate. She was probably thinking, "Geez. This kid doesn't talk because his mother doesn't shut up." Oh! And I was reading a form she asked me to fill out, and Mike was repeating something to me. I was completely tuning him out, and she touched my arm and said, "Mike wants to say something to you." Holy mother of... nice job, Mom. Way to stay cool.

The end of my inspirationless blogging day...

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

Hey, that tuning out thing saves us mothers. MANY TIMES. So, don't beat yourself up for that little thing. ;)

bluedaisy said...

Trust me, these case managers see FAR worse things than what you mentioned. But I totally empathize b/c I get all over-elaboratey in those situations too. Like I just CAN'T stop talking. I also think that the CM might just chalk it up to initial nerves (parental type). I get like that too even though I've been on the other side of the situation too. And it's MUCH better to have a parent who elaborates than one who only gives yes/no answers. Hope everything works out for Michael :)