Monday, November 15, 2010

Questions?

Okay, so we are halfway through November, and I've got nothing. I *could* write about how Lily screamed and had fits all day today...from waking at 6:30 until right now, (but I have passed the baton to Jeff).

So I decided to steal some questions from other people's blogs. I would ask my own readers...but usually you guys don't have any questions for me. I would guess it is because a) I am not a very exciting person, so you already know there aren't any deep dark secrets in my past to divulge or b) I've already told you everything...

So! Question on Kelsey's blog: How do you stay connected with your spouse in the midst of kid chaos?

Um. We try to talk to each other every day. We are very affectionate...the kids don't even react when we kiss or hug each other, they are so used to it. We try to be the others' partner in crime...the two remaining soldiers in the trenches we are living in. But mostly...we just try to make sure we talk to each other every day.

Wow. That was...fabulous blog reading. No WONDER you guys don't ask questions. With scintillating answers like that, you might as well just read a post about what is on my mind.

So? You wanna know?

Meals of the Week (and the crowd goes wild!)


Tonight was chicken Parmesan...because I am going to the grocery tomorrow, and there was nothing left. Grocery tomorrow is also why meal planning is on my mind.

Tuesday- Baked Potato Soup w/ salad

Wednesday- Ruebens w/ sweet potato fries

Thursday- Crock pot...sauerkraut pork chops w/ mashed potatoes, cooked carrots, and rye bread

Friday- Homemade pizza/leftover night

Saturday- Date night! Aegean chicken (recipe from a friend in Louisville...kalamata olives, artichoke heart, diced tomatoes...yumminess!), couscous, broccoli, wine...on date nights, kids eat early and then we will eat alone after they are in bed.

Sunday- Something new...Wild rice chicken dinner...a new casserole I'm trying with french cut green beans, water chestnuts...we'll see. I always try the new stuff on weekends, because it takes more concentration.


**Usually my weekly planning ends up lasting more than a week. Inevitably there is a night when I don't feel like cooking...then we go to fall back meals like tacos or smoked sausage w/ mac and cheese or frozen ravioli's, etc. There will also be an unknown quantity of leftovers which can be used one night...pushing back the rest. And, no, my kids don't eat all this stuff. I just try to have something they will eat with each meal. Which they will always refuse...and therefore go to bed hungry. I'm mean. On the nights when I don't just make them something I know they like. Which, in looking at the list for this week, Tuesday they will definitely not eat...so I'll have fruit and crackers out...Wednesday I'll make them grilled cheese as I'm grilling up our reubens...Thursday they will actually like, because the pork chops can be served separately...Friday is pizza night...Saturday I will make them chicken nuggets so as not to interfere with our date night...Sunday should work with the chicken being pulled out and plain.

-sigh- When will they eat normally?

3 comments:

CARRIE said...

Ok, you might think this was dull, but I liked knowing that my children are not the only freakish eaters on the planet. Theoretically I know that virtually everyone else's kids eat the same way, but it helps to know that I am not the only lady who serves carrot sticks and cheese rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla to one child and vanilla yogurt with some sprinkles and mandarin oranges to the other.

memere said...

For you Moms out there. Gigi (aka Giselle) wouldn't eat a thing when she was little. We'd be finished eating and the dishes washed while she stared at her plate, spread the food around and hoped for dissert. But look at her now. She's a gourmet! There's hope for those little ones.

bluedaisy said...

Ditto on the freakish eating! I use the same "have one thing they like" strategy.
And as simple as your answer to the first question is- about staying in touch with your spouse- talking really is key. It's the best advice I could give anyone because once kids come along, it's surprising how hard it is to have a normal conversation. That was my question on Kelsey's blog so I am happy to get a sense of how every couple makes it work :)