Saturday, November 06, 2010

Stuff on my mind Saturday

--Today marks 4 years since I walked through the doors of this house. The first time I laid eyes on it. It is easy to remember the date, because it is exactly one month after Lily's birthday. In a way it is hard to believe we've been here 4 years already. But then I see how big Lily is...and that Mikey is now almost the age Andrew was when we moved in...and it seems like 2 lifetimes ago.

--My Memere has fallen twice and big decisions are being made about her future care. My heart aches for her and also for my mother and uncle. I wish I could be there to...I don't know...but it seems like I'd be more useful.

-- We've just been notified that Andrew has to give a presentation in December about our family holiday traditions. I can't think of any. Which makes me sad for my kids. Why don't we have any traditions? I mean, other than the standard American Christmas traditions. And the "make fun of Daddy's ornaments" tradition. And the "Mommy curses at the cookies and ruins batch after batch until we just buy some at the store" tradition.

--We are refinancing our house. It costs us $0, I guess since it is through our current mortgage company and they want to keep our business. Even the notarizing is free if we go to one of their banks to do it. And it will save us $280 a month. I love getting money back for doing literally almost nothing. Other than contributing to the death of a forest. I mean, seriously? Could they use more paper?

-- Out of the blue yesterday, Lily began pronouncing her name "Lily" instead of "Liddy". She's been getting really distinct end sounds...like r's and l's...but it finally moved into her own name. While I'm happy for her, because people will start understand her name (she spells it for them, because she knows they can't understand her)...I'm also sad, because she just marches stubbornly towards little-girl-hood.

--Mikey asked to "Pee in Pot" yesterday. And sat for quite a while with no success. Perhaps in a mere 6-9 months we'll be out of diapers. Of course, in true Giselle style, I am not rushing to buy underpants or even pull-ups. I don't potty train, so much. Me no likey accidents. But I don't want to discourage him. So I suppose I'll at least buy a new potty seat for the upstairs toilet. (our old one grew a new species of ick...you can view it at the Smithsonian) (not really) (but it was disgustingly disgusting).

--Jeff leaves for Mexico tomorrow. And I'm getting my period today and my throat is scratchy and virusy feeling. Should be a good week! I see much pizza delivery in our future. At least I'm committed to blogging every day, so you can hear me whine and moan. So that's something.

--Yup. That's about it on my mind today. Exciting stuff.

3 comments:

CARRIE said...

We don't have any traditions either, unless you count me buying my kids each an ornament of their own every year so that when they grow up they will have a nice little collection from their childhood. But that doesn't involve them, per se, so I don't count it.

Or maybe mommy scurrying around in an anxious funk trying to put all the Christmas toy crap away on Christmas afternoon because all the shit strewn everywhere makes her bonkers? Is that a tradition?

d e v a n said...

Oh man, we're refinancing but it's costing us an arm and a leg! Darn.

nicole said...

We are refinancing too, but not for free. Lucky you.

I hope you survive your week with minimal stress (is that even possible?). A presentation at work about Christmas traditions seems odd.