Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Kid art

How much do I love kid art? And now that I'm getting my own kid's art...love it. Sure, those first early scribbles are exciting. Wow! They're holding a crayon and making a mark on the world. But now Andrew is getting so much better at putting his imagination down on paper. Today, we decided to send out cards to Grandma and Grandpa and Memere and Pepere. We have his super cute school pictures to send out...and photos always kick my butt into action when it comes to sending grandparents stuff.

May I digress for a moment? (of course I may...I'm talking to myself right now). I ordered the minimum package for school pictures that I could and still get a class picture. I assumed that the picture would be terrible. Mine always were. Eyes going different directions, stubborn cowlicks showing their true form, weird objects lurking in the shadows of your face (is that peanut butter? boogers?). When picture day finally came to his school, it was an unseasonably warm 85 degrees (in the middle of October). So I scrapped my handsome sweater idea and put him in jean shorts and a t-shirt. Who care about the daggone school pictures, anyway? They aren't going to turn out okay. I scoffed at other mothers who sent their kids in thick wool sweaters and corduroy pants despite the heat because of pictures. And we got them back yesterday. And Andrew's face is so daggone cute...I'm pissed that I didn't have the foresight of those other parents. So one wallet for each set of grandparents and one for Jeff and I. That's all I got. OF COURSE, I could order more. I think they are a very reasonable $15 for a wallet. Well, probably not, but that's what I imagine anyway.

Okay, back to kid art. So these stinkin' cute pictures were a good excuse for Andrew and I to do "ART" during Lily's nap time. He got some paints in a birthday party gift bag, so we cracked those out and Andrew decided what he wanted to make his pictures of...

The first one is a self portrait. We noticed that one of the colors of paint looked like the color of our skin...so inspiration was born. Notice the red shirt/pants combo (he's wearing his Spiderman costume, so he told me), yet the arms come straight out of his head. LOVE IT. He's got a big red mouth, with red cheeks underneath the mouth. LOVE IT. His hair is accurately brown, but there was no blue paint, so I convinced him that it was better to have black eyes than no eyes at all. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.



Picture #2 on the blog was actually the first picture he painted. The paint set we received didn't have a wide variety of colors (no blue, green, yellow, or purple). So I suggested he paint a picture of Tucker (my parents' dachshund) since we had so much brown. With no prompting, he painted the picture below. Tucker has really long ears coming out of the side of her head. And her tail is super-de-duper long as well. Oddly, this wiener dog is quite short in the body. Although the feet are super big. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.


I honestly don't know if I'll enjoy his artwork this much as he gets better. There is something so charming about a child's interpretation of the world. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I hear you with the school pictures-- the cutest picture he's ever taken I only had 4 wallets of. Ever since then... I buy a huge package. The last two have been okay, but we scored big again this fall. Your is in the mail.

LOVE the art. Go Andrew! Aunt Kate is gonna be his Uncle Chuck!

Swistle said...

I love kid art, too.

I usually get the medium package--the kind with an 8x10, two 5x7s, two 3x5s, and some wallets. The pictures are sometimes REALLY AWESOME and sometimes Meh and sometimes bad.