Monday, November 05, 2007

Names...or Really? I have to do this AGAIN?

It's almost that time again. Time to decide on a name for yet another child. Here's how the process works; I detailed it 18 months ago when we were struggling to name Lily.

Some people really love naming kids. Perhaps I would enjoy it more if a) I didn't have a last name that makes every other name sound like something the Swedish chef from The Muppets would utter or b) I didn't have to consult Jeff or c) I knew I was having dozens of children so I would know I could use all the names I loved as well as the ones I kind of liked (don't get excited, Linda...3 is it...I'm just saying having dozens of kids could solve my naming problem.).

I think it gets harder with each kid. Because I already have an unreasonably long list of qualifications for names. But now the name must "fit" with Andrew and Lillian. Perhaps I am sensitive to this because of my own weirdo name. My sisters are Kate and Andrea. Thank heavens my mother picked Andrea (named after their friend Andre) instead of Christie (after their friend Christine). Could you imagine? Katie and Christie...cutsie piggie tailed matchy-matchy sisters on the homecoming court and Gigi, their surly, French, moustached, beret-wearing sister. So although Jeff and I both like the name Kaipo (it's Hawaiian)...doesn't it just roll off the tongue?...I'm not going to make him be the odd-ball in our boring, traditional-named family. Our pasty, blue-eyed Hawaiian boy. Hmmmmm.

My mother already has lots of suggestions...which I'm sure she will post in the comments section. Although the due date is on her 60th birthday, I've told her that unless this child is born ON THE DAY, I feel like we should name this one after my husband's side of the family. Andrew JOHN, after my dad, and Lillian JEANNETTE, after my Memere, aunt, and great-aunt...oh and me. This doesn't stop her...she has so far suggested, Linda Sue, SuzieLyn,...you get the idea. My sister Kate has also suggested Katelyn Suzanne. Helpful, eh?

So here we go again. I'm still trying to convince Jeff that we should NOT find out the gender this time around. His main argument? Do we really want to have to find a boy and a girl's name? We have to decide soon...November 16th is the big day.

Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Erin said...

Find out! Find out!

Because if you don't, I'll die from suspense. Seriously. It's not about YOU or JEFF or the BABY. It's about US. Come on, Giselle.

Here are some suggestions, not categorized by gender (and without knowing the names of any of Jeff's family): Paul. Charles. Amelia. Evalyn (don't know how to spell that). Louise. Louis (that the name we'll probably use if we ever have another boy). Derek. Eileen. Margaret. Laura. Daniel.

Kelsey said...

My two cents. . .

I like Bethany a lot and that seems to fit with your other names. My Aunt Kathleen has five boys, none of whom go by nicknames, and they are: Jonathan, Andrew, Thomas, Matthew, and Michael and I love the way they sound together. With boys names, I think the popularity is less of an issue, but maybe Jeff disagrees?

Anonymous said...

1) Find out.

2) Won't someone PLEASE name a boy Oliver? It is my favorite boy name.

3) If you DID want to do a take on Linda, Linnell is a pretty name. I also like Linnea. Or Lindy. Or Lindsay. Then use a middle name from his side of the family.

Swistle said...

I kind of love the naming process and kind of find it stressful. I DO like to find ONE name, but I DON'T like to find TWO. Naming the boy-girl twins was really tough!

Andrea said...

UGH! I hate the naming process! Seriosuly, Ryan was nameless until days before his (late) birth, Rachel was easy for some reason, and this one? Yeah no clue! We have it narrowed down to 2 names - I am waiting until his birth to pick one though! We did have a girl name this time.
It's hard to find that 3rd name that also sounds good with the other 2!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that finding ANOTHER name is so hard! We were lucky with the last one since he was a boy and we hadn't ever used a boy name before! Hannah was the hardest, because I felt that we had already used up our resources naming Meg!

Whatever you choose will end up being the perfect name! And if all else fails, you can always use Megan, Hannah or Owen. I don't mind! ;-)