Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Brothers

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I always wanted 2 boys. When I was pregnant with Andrew, I didn't really care if I had a boy or a girl, but I thought I'd be better with a boy (obviously not realizing how important football knowledge would be to raise this particular child). And when I found out I was pregnant a 2nd time, I immediately wanted another boy. I'm confident that if I'd had a girl first, I would have wanted another girl. I am from a family of same-sex siblings, and I admit that I am not familiar with the interactions of brothers and sisters.

I was, of course, thrilled when Lily was a girl. I am loving so many aspects of my girl that I can't imagine life without her. And she and Andrew have a dynamic and loving and hating relationship that I can only pretend to understand. It's both unbelievably cool and indescribably frustrating to watch.

But brothers...that dream is coming true. Right before my eyes.

Let's begin by saying that Michael completely idolizes Andrew. He breaks into a huge grin when he sees him and loves to cuddle and wrestle and follow Andrew around. Andrew is so very very patient with him.

Yesterday, Michael woke up and immediately wanted to "Go!"...which meant go in the basement. So I brought him down, and Andrew followed. I left them both down there (I know! I'm a terrible mother!), and listened as they happily played near each other. Lily was not involved...which added to the happiness. She was eating mini-wheats and watching her morning show. Ah! Bliss!

Michael came upstairs after a bit and went to the toy box and got out this:

Then he grabbed the Eagles helmet and ran to the basement door and pointed and shouted, "Go!" I opened the door and he dangled the helmet over the edge of the stairs shouting garbly goop at his brother. I explained to Andrew that I thought Mikey wanted him to wear matching football helmets. Andrew was in the middle of something (I don't want to know), so we closed the door. Michael took off his helmet and began wandering around the first floor looking for something to destroy...I mean play with.

Andrew came up a few minutes later, and Michael grabs both helmets and hands one to Andrew. And then they started to chase each other, with Michael squealing and giggling so hard I thought he was going to run into a wall (good thing he had a helmet on).

Brothers:


And now I'm feeling really bad for Lily. I wish beyond wishes that she could have a sister. Even though my sister and I fought like cats for much of our childhood, there is something so nice about having someone experiencing the same sorts of things as you go through life. Someone to whisper the secrets of how to deal with your period during gym class and someone who understands the hurt of rejection from a boy and someone who is in the trenches of being a mother with you. I literally HURT for Lily that she won't have this.

But, then, I could always end up giving her ANOTHER brother...and really? Doesn't she have enough pee on the toilet seat to deal with in her future?

6 comments:

Emily said...

I have these same thoughts/worries all the time. I wanted another girl for Katy for that reason. And I didn't have a brother, so I'm always asking my friends with brothers, "What can I do so Katy and David are close when they get older?" Most people I know say that they weren't close to their siblings until college or later. But I really hope!

d e v a n said...

Brothers are great! I worry about the baby, since we're done and won't be having any more girls. I'd like her to have a sister, but it's not in the cards. I can just hope she gets 3 wonderful sisters in law, like I did.

Laura said...

From someone who had a younger brother and no sisters, I wanted to tell you please not worry too much about Lily not having a sister. Though I realize that I don't know what I'm missing when it comes to having a sister, I had a lovely childhood with only a brother and we are very close now.

As an aside, I read somewhere once that siblings who fight more as children grow up to be closer than non-fighters. Not sure if that has any truth to it, but my mom claims that we faught like cats and dogs and she worried so much about it. But, once we were grown (college age) we became really close.

Cousins and friends can provide a girl with all the 'girl time' she will need.

CARRIE said...

Your post makes me oh so glad I had a boy. Your post also makes me wish I could have another girl. And you know that is just crazy talk since I'm 4 weeks postpartum.

Kate said...

Kids don't miss what they don't have... but I know we'd miss what we've had. I'm so glad we get to try to figure out life together. Love ya!!

Andrea said...

I understand somewhat, because a part of me always wishes I could have had a sister closer in age to me... I'm blessed to have two sisters that I CAN go to and talk to about all of those things you mentioned, but I always wondered what it would have been like to have one closer in age. BUT, then I realize that I am lucky to have such a loving family... and that I wouldn't change for the world. So I'm sure if Lily does wonder what life would have been like with a sister, she'll leave it at a wonder... and be happy with what she has. :o)