Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Levels of sickness

Andrew is DOWN, folks. Down. He took a 4 hour nap yesterday afternoon...seriously. I had to wake him up, because even Laid-Back-Sue here was worried he would fall into a fever induced coma. He was up today at 4...probably because he took a 4 hour nap yesterday. So I'm up as well. Yah, I should be all ready to fight off this virus. Oddly enough, 5 Kindergartners in our evening playgroup have the EXACT same symptoms. And I haven't seen these people in 2 weeks. Weird.

Anyway, watching how I take care of my sick baby reminded me of being sick as a child. Keep in mind that my memories don't go all the way back to Kindergarten ...but still. There were different levels of sickness growing up. Nothing was officially verbalized, but you could tell how sick you were by how Mom treated you.

Level 1: You are staying home from school sick. Mom makes you stay in your bedroom the whole day. You aren't allowed out to watch tv, or color, or play in the house. You must stay in your boring bed. All. Day. Child's conclusion/diagnosis: Mom doesn't think you are really sick. You better get your butt back to school tomorrow, because it is boring as sin at home. School really IS better than being at home.

Level 2: You are staying home from school sick. Mom lets you eat on the couch and watch television. You have to take naps, but you can also cuddle up under a blanket and be entertained by Tom and Jerry. Child's conclusion/diagnosis: Mom must think I am legitimately sick. She is taking pity on me, and wants me to be comforted and happy.

Level 3: You are staying home from school sick. Not only does Mom let you watch tv, but she buys you a new box of 64 crayons and coloring books. You are allowed to use them at the kitchen table, or watch tv, or play...if you have the energy to. Child's conclusion/diagnosis: Holy CRAP. I am dying. I must be dying. Has she called the priest yet? New crayons? Did you buy me a burial plot while you were at the store?


I look back on this quite fondly, I have to say. Mom did a great job of not making it a fun thing to stay home from school when we were only border-line sick. Inadvertently, she made it quite obvious when we were seriously ill. I will probably follow the same route with my kids...why reinvent the wheel?

And just so you know? Andrew is at a Level 2.

8 comments:

Heather said...

My level 2 involved lots of chicken broth and crackers while napping/watching game shows in my parent's bed. Level 3 was when I had the chicken pox. I remember my Grandma filled a shoe box with 12 "trinket toys" - all wrapped. I was allowed to open one each hour I was awake. They weren't big toys (crayons, a top, etc.) but I wouldn't wait for the next hour!

d e v a n said...

Ah, yes. Our levels were much like that.

Unknown said...

Level 1 always meant we had to go to school. My mom was tough like that. Unless we were vomiting or had a fever, we went to school. None of this "stay home with a cold"..we went to school! That being said, I follow a similar level system that you do.

Kate said...

I actually remember getting crayons, too! And a pair of pretty gloves for when I had chicken pox. I also remember playing with legos on her bed counting down the next 3 hours until I could take my inhaler again. Then there were the late night rides to the hospital with Dad-- when they'd wake me up and stuff me in the car. We'd see raccoons and possums. I knew I was sick because when they gave me a shot I barely protested.

memere said...

I still have the gloves if you ever need them!! I believe it's the only time you ever had white gloves. Hang in there all you Mom's with sick kids. Hope they are better soon.

Unknown said...

I think I reached level 4 whenever I fainted. That was a sure sign I was really sick, and the fever/ sweating would follow. I don't remember crayons, but I do remember gingerale, crackers, and having a bell next to my bed when I got really sick.

Erin said...

Poor Andrew and POOR YOU. I have VIVID memories of being home sick. Oddly, some of my most clear recollections are of sick days. I remember watching a lot of Little House on the Prairie. And the taste of 7-Up brings me RIGHT BACK THERE.

bluedaisy said...

Very similar system in our house. Although when I was in high school, menstrual cramps brought out a certain degree of sympathy from my mom- I could usually count on going in late at least. She always had horrible cramps so I think it really got to her.
But as a kid, that brand new box of crayons- the smell of it- priceless!