Monday, November 02, 2009

Crisis of mortality

Last week was Andrew's last night of swim lessons. He will still be taking lessons, but we've moved them to Saturday afternoon, because those night time lessons were really really difficult for my early-to-bed boy.

I don't talk much about Andrew's extra-curricular activities, because there aren't that many. There are 3 main reasons for this:


1) I am lazy and cheap.

2) I feel strongly that it is important for children to get to be children. I also feel it is an important skill to know how to entertain yourself, without always being in structured organized activities. I also feel like organized activities are inevitable as they get older, so why not utilize the younger years to make up games and figure out what to do with those extra hours of the day.

3) Mostly, it's because I'm lazy.

So we try to have Andrew in one sport, so he can try stuff out. And then swim lessons, because I feel those are really important. He just finished soccer this weekend, which he really didn't want to do. But he ended up LOVING it.

I usually stay with the littles, for whatever reason. So I went to his last swim lesson to see his progress. (which was incredible, btw. He swam across the pool on his back! With no help! He was jumping in and swimming with actual strokes across the pool over and over. 6 months ago, he could barely get his face wet. Amazing.)

Anyway, on the 5 minute drive to the pool, Andrew randomly struck up this conversation:

A- Mom? Do men live longer than women?

M- Why do you ask?

A- Well, women bleed so much and hurt so much to have babies, does that make them die younger?

M- Actually, women's bodies are made to have babies. So usually we recover just fine. And actually, if you remember going to the nursing home last year, there were lots more women than men. That's because women actually tend to live longer.

A- (sniffing and almost crying) Whhhhaaaaattt? Meeennnn don't liiiiiive as longggg? (sniff sniff, frog in throat)

M- Hey! Do you want to go get ice cream afterwards to celebrate the last swim lesson?

A- (snapping out of it immediately) Great! Can I get a cherry on top?

Phew! Crisis of mortality averted...for now. I swear, you never know where a conversation is going with that kid.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Harper loves to talk about which one of us will die first - I think because she doesn't really comprehend that and she wants to know it WON'T be her...

I'm glad you were quick thinking so that Andrew didn't have to fret for long! :-)

Anonymous said...

Lol...I love the way kids think:) Brayden says he's going to buy our house from us when we're old so he never has to leave. He's got it all figured out.

bluedaisy said...

Way to avoid the crisis! Ice cream is always a great incentive :)