Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ready to fight

Michael is armed and ready to fight the flu. I called the on-call doctor at our pediatrician's office thanks to my sister's prompting (thanks, Kate). I just wanted an order of Tamiflu for the little guy, but the doctor really wanted to listen to his chest, since he has a history of asthma-like symptoms. So she met me at the office. No nurses, no office hours, her husband and kids were actually waiting in her van outside the office.

Mike's lungs sounded really good...congested but no wheezing or fluid. He has a mild ear infection. She assumed he was coming down with the flu. So we left with Tamiflu and antibiotics and instructions to continue the nebulizer treatments.

We are armed and ready to help Mike's body fight whatever ails him. And this afternoon, he started really burning up and acting miserable. He is breaking my heart with his pitiful cries. And it is so wonderful to be the mommy...Jeff was holding him when I was changing the sheets on his bed (he threw up during his nap). He kept screaming "Dow! Dow!" When Jeff finally put him down, he came racing to find me in the other room, yelling, "Ma! Ma!" (this is a child who has been saying Da for months and never calls me by name. talk about melt melt your mother...) When I picked him up he settled right into my arms and calmed down. I am humbled to be the source of comfort for this sweet little one. I just wish I could do more for him.

I'm so grateful to that doctor for seeing him...because watching him this afternoon may have brought me to the brink of worry and distress. But knowing his lungs are okay...and antibiotics are streaming through his body and Tamiflu is helping the fight...I feel better.

And here are some pictures of the eye from this morning (when Michael was obviously feeling better than he is right now...)

Starting to turn a bit yellowish and greenish around the edges. Lovely.


1 comment:

CARRIE said...

What a great doc!