Monday, January 29, 2007

The dentist

Andrew went to the dentist today for the first time ever. And guess what...he was an ANGEL. He sat right down in the chair and became a zombie as he was sucked into the movie showing above the chair. In fact, the dental hygienist kept trying to talk to him to make him feel better (this is my special toothpaste...this is my whirrly toothbrush...this is a special napkin to keep your sweatshirt clean). Andrew's response? To open his mouth and crane his neck to see the movie around her head. I kept waiting for him to say, "Here, my mouth is open. Do whatever you want...pull teeth, color them purple, stitch my tongue to the roof of my mouth. But for the love of God, woman, move out from in front of the TV!!!"

The dentist was a very nice, grandfatherly man. I chose this practice because it has a pediatric and an adult dentist. See, unlike you people who live near family, I have to take my kids with me to appointments. So I figured this dentist would have toys. And now I'm convinced it will be okay, because they have tv's. :) Next week when I go to the dentist, I'm sure Andrew will be zombified the entire time.

Andrew was such a champ. The whole time he was getting his teeth cleaned, he gave the thumbs up sign. The dentist thought that was a riot, until I explained that Andrew does that when he is anxious. By the end, we were at 2 thumbs up. Brave little guy. They cleaned, picked, AND did fluoride! What a pro! I had a moment of such pride. You don't really get that when they are little. But I watched him just being my wonderful little boy...so cooperative, so amazing...and I just swelled up with pride. What a neat person he has become...and I get to call him mine?!?! When he got to sit back up, and he actually thanked the dentist unprompted...I thought my heart would burst. I just wanted to hug and squeeze him and cover him in kisses...but I'm already not allowed to do that. Only 3, and already embarrassed by his mother.

Unfortunately, Andrew has picked up another bad trait from me. He already had to be cursed with my personality...isn't that enough? Now we've discovered he has gotten my enamel. The doc has some funky laser that measures enamel. It is bad if it is over 25 (whatever that number means). Most of his teeth were in the 7-15 range. But his two back molars on top? 99 and 77!!! He's only had those teeth for about 7 months?!?!? They already have brown spots on them...which will lead to decay soon. But the dentist doesn't like to give fillings to 3 year olds (no kidding), so Andrew will come back every 3 months until they need to be filled.

I appreciate the dentists advice. But why do I feel like I'm dealing with a used car salesman? Or one of those guys in pioneering days who sold lemon juice and claimed it was a magical elixir that would cure indigestion? I just thought it was awfully convenient having a magical little laser that brings patients back twice as frequently. Maybe I just don't want to deal with the fact my baby is going to have to have fillings.

So that's our dentist adventure. Next week I'll tell you about my own dentist adventure. I got a peek at the adult dentist...he is HOT! I may break out the makeup for this appointment. A preview: Ooooo, baby, look at me. I'm an overweight stay at home mom of two. Aren't I all you've been looking for and more?

***note to parents: I am not looking for a new man. Jeff is all the man I can handle. I just thought the dentist was some nice eye candy. If Jeff gets to ogle bikini clad girls on vacations, can't I have my fun too?

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I say take the eye candy where you can! When Rachel was 6 weeks old I had to take her to the eye doctor and one of our NICU nurses told me he was hot. So, yes, I broke out the make up and actually SHOWERED! Sadly, he was not, but I felt better :)
Ryan goes next week to the dentist, but they aren't going to clean his teeth, just look at them and count them (to get him used to being there). Should be fun...

Kelsey said...

See what I mean? Funny.

Even though Harper can be a terror, I know what you are talking about with the pride. . . once in a while she does something that is just totally amazing to me, takes my breath away. Then she throws a book at my face and it's over until the next time.

Don't sweat the teeth too much. . . when my sister was in elementary school one trip to the dentist turned up eight cavaties for her (three in one tooth). The fillings weren't fun, but her adult teeth are much less problematic.

Anonymous said...

I must say I totally agree with your comment about dentists feeling like used car salesmen!
I have felt that way for a while now myself. It is so frustrating because we, as non-dental professionals, can't really know for certain if they are being honest and trustworthy or not. I hate that.

Kate said...

I just wish they could seal all my teeth in plastic. Don't they do that anymore? The plastic sealents. They aren't covered by insurance, but are totally worth it. Poor Andrew. Our family's teeth suck.