Thursday, January 11, 2007

My Gym


Well, we've finally discovered My Gym. There was one in Louisville, but with so many other, cheaper options, we never embraced it. If you don't have a My Gym in your area, I think you can compare it to Gymboree. I think. I've always been too cheap to investigate any of them.

So why have I enrolled Andrew here? Is it cheaper? Dear, God, no. It costs more than pre-school, for heaven's sake. But boredom makes the money flow more easily out of my wallet. So here we go.

Andrew LOVES it. Andrew NEEDS it. Did you know that my 3 year old just learned how to jump. Seriously. And he is so cautious, he won't climb things without a hand rail, he can't hang off a bar, much less swing around on one, and on and on.

We went for a free class last week, and Andrew had a blast. He follows directions really well, and tried everything. Okay, almost everything. He is still a cautious kid, after all. But usually the first class of something new, he just sits back and doesn't participate at all. He did great compared to usual. So I signed him up. And he is now the star of the class. Not because of his physical feats...in fact those are quite behind the other, younger children in the class. No, because he is a bit older, and speaks quite well for his age, he cracks everyone up with his little comments. For example:

At the beginning of class, everyone sits in a big circle, tells their name and then answers the question of the day. Last week the question was, "What is your favorite animal?"


It went around the circle with kids shyly whispering their favorite animals after much coaxing from teacher and parent. Then it was Andrew's turn. He says, "Well....actually...my favorite animal is a giraffe". All the moms were cracking up.


He also gives a really dorky thumbs up as he approaches each new activity. I think he's nervous to try something new, and he is looking for reassurance from the teacher that it is all going to be okay. It's really sweet and cute, and also gets the moms giggling.
Lily likes the class too, as she gets to watch lots of toddlers...not just her brother. Very exciting. They are both EXHAUSTED when we get home...which means a little break for me! Well worth the money, if you ask me!


No comments: