Tuesday, January 23, 2007

How a 3 year old thinks

We went to the library today. I picked out the movie The Incredibles, which Andrew absently nodded yes to when asked ( he was busy with a Living Book on the computer). He chatted it up with some lady in the checkout line ("I am Lily's favorite person. She likes to watch me. Yes, I am handsome. Garcia is my friend. We're both really good football players. Watch me run really fast...") We got in the car, and I asked him if he wanted to go home and watch our new movie. He told me that the little superhero gets pushed by a bigger superhero, so he doesn't want to watch it. (when did he see this movie? I am sure I've never rented it before!) I lamented that I would not have checked it out if I had known he wouldn't watch it. He said, "Don't worry, Mom. I'll watch it when I can pump gas."

Huh? And then I made the mental connections that come so easily to a 3 year old and recalled our previous conversation about pumping gas. A few weeks ago, I stopped to get some gas (I have since gotten gas...my car's gas mileage isn't that good..just stay with me here). As I was getting out of the car, Andrew asked if he could get out and help me pump the gas. I told him he isn't big enough right now...maybe when he turns 6 or 7. We counted out how long that would be (next you'll be 4, then you'll be 5, etc).

This makes me wonder how much of his nonsense chatter actually makes sense to him. Pretty cute. Oh, and Garcia is Jeff Garcia of the Eagles, of course. He apparently lives in our house now, since Andrew sits with him when he watches TV, and plays football, snakes, cars, you name it with Andrew all day long. Andrew's imaginary friend...a professional football player. Jeff is proud. BTW...when asked what he wants to be when he grows up...football player. This kid is seriously going to need some Prozac when football season ends this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is no football this weekend. We get this week off. Superbowl is the following Sunday. Next time, just ask Jeff Garcia. He should know.