Saturday, January 27, 2007

A family kind of a day

Today was such an enjoyable one. We are having an "all alone" family weekend...again. I think this is the longest we've gone without seeing one set of grandparents since Andrew was born. Seriously. I think my mom came out every month to California.

I think Jeff and I are pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoying being our little family of 4. It helps that Lily is sleeping so well. Well rested parents mean more energy to play with the 3 year old during the day.

So Andrew slept in until 7:15 today!! Woo-hoo! He hasn't slept past 6:30 in about 2 weeks. We enjoyed our sleep time. Then we had breakfast and lazed around. We finally got dressed and went to Red Robin for lunch. Oh yes...we know how to live. I love their turkey, bacon, avocado croissant sandwich...yummo! Andrew was a blast in the restaurant. He talked the ear off our waitress (she knew his name after just a few seconds). He chatted non-stop through the meal...commenting on the USA flag made from colored baseballs on the wall. He said, "Look, mom. It's the states! With baseballs! This must be a baseball restaurant" At the end he wanted a balloon, so I told him to go ask the host very nicely. He walked back to the hostess desk all by himself and asked for a red balloon. He's so brave!

We then went to B&N bookstore to use up some gift certificates and make some returns. Andrew played trains and Lily fell asleep. We went next door to Petsmart (aka poor man's zoo), and Andrew had a BLAST looking at fishies and petting the cats. We came home and put Andrew down for a nap.

Andrew wouldn't nap, so I took him with me on what was supposed to be my Mommy-only errands. I was disappointed at first I was going to miss out on my alone time...until I had such a great time with my little boy. We went to the library, and he patiently waited for me to pick out my books. Then we picked out his. He decided to show a librarian his "running" shoes...complete with a demonstration of his running skills. She very nicely told him that there is no running in the library. He was MORTIFIED. Covered his face with his hands, almost started crying, froze in his spot like maybe she couldn't see him anymore. Then he ran and hid behind my legs. Is this my child or what? She wasn't even angry...he just hates to be reprimanded. Can't handle criticism. Yup...they may look like Jeff's family...but Andrew at least has inherited my personality to a tee.

We went to Kohl's so I could use my gift certificate there. Andrew was less than pleased...he really wanted to read his new library books. So after we shopped and called Jeff to make sure Lily wasn't demanding food, we went into Starbucks next door. I drank coffee, Andrew ate a muffin, and we read his library books together. We both had such a good time. It's nice to be just the two of us sometimes. But like the good big brother he is, at the end of our time in Starbucks, he said, "Let's go home and see Daddy and Lily. She needs to be fed."

I had really wanted to plan a big outing for Andrew this weekend...the zoo, aquarium, something. But we had such a good time just hanging out together it reminds me that sometimes, all you need is some quality time. Just me and my boy. (BTW...Daddy and Lily had some good quality time at home while we were gone. It's not too often Jeff gets to hang out with his girl all by themselves. Hard to do when your baby is attached at the boob to her mother!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm feeling bad about coming to visit. Maybe I should cancel my trip. NOT! Your fault for having such cute kids. Sorry.

Kelsey said...

Sounds lovely Giselle! I also enjoy the times when our whole little family is together. Between school for me and basketball for Matt, it doesn't happen that often!