Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A nerd or a geek?

I have a funny story about raising Andrew to be like his parents. Not cool. Not stylish. Not ever going to be part of "society" if that means elegant dinner parties and designer duds. I thought this as I was watching Andrew and Jeff dance to Ja Rule last night. Yes, that's right, Ja Rule. Andrew really loves one of the songs on that CD, and thank goodness I don't think they even drop the f-bomb in it. (amazing!). Anyway, in a fit of boredom about 6 pm, we decided to bust a move. And Andrew showed off his amazing dance skills. He asked Jeff to do the "shopping cart" dance.

That's right. We've taught our son how to do the "shopping cart". We've tried the "sprinkler", but I don't think Andrew knows what a sprinkler is. And "fishing" just hasn't caught on. Neither has "the lawn mower". But "shopping cart" is a huge hit. I was laughing so hard, my cheeks hurt, as I watched my son pretend to push and fill a shopping cart to the beat of Ja Rule. Jeff was encouraged by my giggling, and proceeded to do his "trout" dance. If only I knew how to put video clips on this stinking blog. Seriously, I thought I was going to have an aneurysm(try spelling that without spell check).

Anyhoo, I was contemplating starting this entry with a definition of "nerd", to prove the point that we are grooming our son to be the next generation of nerds. Until I looked it up. Then I was quite insulted that people have referred to me as a nerd. That I have referred to myself as a nerd.

nerd, (n), : an unpleasant, unattractive, or insignificant person

Ouch. Insignificant? Unpleasant? So, refusing to abandon what I thought was a really clever way to start a blog, I looked up the word "geek". As in, "band-geek".

geek, (n): a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

Say WHAAAAT? I must have been on a different bus of band geeks. No alternative definitions in my dictionary for either word.

So I feel lost. What word am I searching for? How do you describe a person who doesn't need to follow trends or fads because they are confident in who they are? A person who finds intellectual factoids interesting. A person willing to not drink a beer or smoke a cigarette when the "popular" kids do, or who finds the joy in dancing even though they don't know how to do it "properly"? What is that kind of person called? I always thought it was "nerd" or "geek". I was proved wrong this morning.

Hmmmm, whatever it is, that's what I hope we are grooming Andrew to be. Shopping cart dance and all!

6 comments:

CARRIE said...

How big of a nerd or a geek am I when I reference my dictionary to see if mine has the same definitions as yours (and it does). I thought to suggest "dork," until I looked it up online and found this word can reference a whale penis. Go to this web site: nerdtests.com

Kate said...

What about weird?

Kate said...

I got it...

bi·zarre
markedly unusual in appearance, style, or general character and often involving incongruous or unexpected elements; outrageously or whimsically strange; odd: bizarre clothing; bizarre behavior.

Kate said...

One more (cuz it takes one to know one...)

dweeb (dwēb) Pronunciation Key
n. Slang
A person regarded as socially inept or foolish, often on account of being overly studious.

Andrea said...

I was going to say dweeb!!!
Giselle - I must have been on the same band-geek bus as you :)

Anonymous said...

Okay guys, you have way too much time on your hands. Anyway; I'm very proud of my nerds, geeks, dweebs, etc. It kept you safe and productive.