Friday, November 21, 2008

The conference

Andrew's preschool does conferences very late in the year...for my tastes anyway. I had my scheduled meeting with one of Andrew's teachers today at 10:20. Not to complain, but I drop him off at school at 9:15 and have to be back to get him at 11:45. I don't think there could be a less convenient conference time than 10:20.

So here's how the morning went. Just count how many times poor Michael had to get in and out of the car seat. I got all the kids in the car and went to the drive thru Duncan Donuts...I think I passed 2 other Duncan Donuts on the way there...but you just can't beat the drive thru. Andrew was bringing in donuts to celebrate his birthday. We drive back to his school and I unload all three kids out of carseats, put Lily and Andrew's coats on, and trek through the construction to take Andrew into school. After kissing Andrew goodbye, I half drag Lily (she wants to walk, and holding my hand means she is NOT walking, but I insist she hold my hand in the parking lot, so she screams and goes limp, but I can't pick her up with her huge winter coat on, etc etc) and Michael back to the car. Take off Lily's coat and strap her in. Strap in Michael. Drive back to our town to go to playgroup. Unstrap Michael and Lily and put Lily's coat on. Get inside and take off coats. Spend a half hour acclimating Lily to playgroup. Leave Lily with playgroup, strap Michael back into carseat and drive all the way back to Andrew's school. Take Michael back out of carseat and go back into school. Talk to Andrew's teacher for 5 minutes. Go back out to car and strap Michael in. Drive all the way back to playgroup, to find Lily sobbing uncontrollably and a poopie diaper on the front stoop that those poor women had to change for me. I leave Michael asleep in the car, and go in and out of the house checking on him every 10 minutes. After 30 minutes, strap Lily in and head back to Andrew's school. Get there too early, so take Michael out and nurse him in the car while Lily watches a movie. Put Lily in a stroller this time and Michael in the Bjorn and go in to get Andrew. Lily releases herself from the stroller and takes off running. I whack Michael's head as I try to haul her back into the stroller. Talk to Andrew about his day as the two little ones scream in hysterics on the way through the parking lot. Strap them all back into the car for the 10 minute drive back home. And then we start our crazy lunch/nap prep rushed routine as usual.

5 minute conference. 5 minutes. She showed me the worksheets they have all the kids do kind of sheepishly. "Andrew recognized all these shapes. But I'm sure you knew that. And he knows all his letters. Again, I'm sure you knew that." etc etc. He is doing sooooo much better with his fine motor skills...they aren't worried about him at all. Socially he is doing great, nice to all the kids, never has fits when things don't go his way, follows directions, etc. She basically summed it up at the end saying, "We just have no issues with Andrew. He is a delight. You are very lucky to have him."

Ah. So nice to hear. But as much as I enjoyed my 5 minute compliment of Andrew, I kind of wish they could have pulled me aside in the morning and just told me very quickly. No, I shouldn't complain. Good conference. Be grateful.

6 comments:

HawleyFamily said...

What is a winter coat? :P

CARRIE said...

Yeah, I would have been downing vodka on a day like this. As far as I'm concerned, you have every right to bitch.

Kate said...

Lucky you. And for people who have the 45 minute conference...Today we found out that Colin went to the office for the SECOND time this week because he refused to stop screaming. At least he didn't pinch anyone today. I'm trying to figure out if he still gets to go to COSI tomorrow. I'm thinking no.

bluedaisy said...

The positive conference is definitely something to be thankful for. But all that IN/OUT of the car, it's just exhausting! I would have probably given up at some point and just decided to live in the car!

Unknown said...

I can't believe your school doesn't have a carpool line- maybe it's just a MD thing? They come out and get your kid out of the car for you and bring them back out at dismissal- it's great! Maybe you can suggest it and they can implement it in time for Lily!

Andrea said...

Giselle, I just read about this place: http://www.pghtoys.com/ and thought it might be something fun to do if/when you visit me next. They said something about it being free the first time you go, but the prices don't look bad either way. :)