Saturday, November 29, 2008

Don't screw it up...

I almost forgot to blog today. On the 29th day of November. When I've been doing so well. Must. not. screw. it. up. Not that it REALLY matters. It is just so rare that I actually finish something that I start.

We've been having a great weekend with my MIL and FIL. It is so nice to have other people around to share the children with...and by share, I mean others to pay attention to the them so I don't have to so much. ;) The only problem is the whole sleeping arrangement thing. We have always had a guest room for our visitors, complete with a queen sized bed. Until Michael came along. Now we are in a waiting period for Michael to get old enough to sleep in bunk beds with Andrew. That will be a while. In the meantime, we haven't found a good system yet. We've tried splitting the grandparents up, so one sleeps with Lily and one sleeps in the basement. The problem with that is someone has to sleep with Lily and someone has to sleep in our basically unfinished basement that would become a trap during a fire. We have tried Andrew sleeping with Lily and giving his bedroom to the guests. The problem with that is, there is only a twin in Andrew's room, so if there is more than one guest, someone has to sleep on the floor. If we were to put the queen up in Andrew's room, we would have to remove his toy box, bookshelf, and possibly his dresser(aka all the rest of his furniture)...and we still might not be able to get to his closet very easily. Have I ever mentioned how small our bedrooms are? And Andrew has the big bedroom. This weekend we have given Paul and Linda our king sized bed while Jeff sleeps with Lily and I sleep on the floor of either Andrew or Michael's room. This is not a bad solution, but it only works if Jeff doesn't have to go to work...which doesn't work for 95% of family visits. When he goes to work, he would wake Lily by showering in the kids' bathroom since our pipes are so loud.

-sigh- I feel so bad for our visitors. But I figure it's only 3 years or so until Mike moves in with Andrew...and that's not so long in the long run.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

That's a real problem in our house too. I guess I'm waiting until the kids are old enough to share while we have visitors. Right now visitors have to sleep with Harper or on a couch. I feel especially bad for my mom when she comes for longer stretches. It used to be so nice to have a whole room to give her. Sigh. And Michael and Harper will probably never permanently share a room! Matt is not too sympathetic, but his parents live here!

The Workman Family said...

Yeah, we don't have a guest room either. Right now, we bring in an extra matress and put it in the play room. It works for now. It's nice of you to give up your bed!
That's when I call the nearest hotel. :)

Kate said...

why not a fold-out couch in the living room