Sunday, November 16, 2008

Play house

Some of you may not have known me 2 1/2 years ago, but I was...um...less than stoked about having a little girl. Frightened. Feeling inadequate. I quickly got over that once Lily made her grand appearance, although I still often feel like she really has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to mothers. I went out with some ladies, and they were discussing all the cute dresses and dress coats their daughter have (and the price tag on those items). I love looking at Lily in dresses, but I honestly would rather she be comfortable. I wouldn't want to freeze my bottom in tights when I could be wearing thick warm sweatpants. Why would I make my daughter? Other than the fact she is deliciously cute in tights.



Anyhoo, I digress. I am really really enjoying the toys and play style of a little girl. It makes me realize how annoying it is that playing pretend with a little boy ALWAYS ends up in violence. Here's an example of playing with the dollhouse (Lily's favorite thing to do).



Lily: Mommy be mommy, Eee-ee be baby.



Andrew grabs the Mommy. Lily screams: No! No! No!



Giselle: It's okay, Lily. I'll be the daddy and Andrew can be the mommy. We all have to share..blah blah blah (you know the drill)



Lily: Wah wah. Baby eat oatmeal.



G: Here's your breakfast, baby. Daddy has to go to work.



A: (Throws mommy doll into the air) Mommy just jumped out the window! Let's pretend she's dead!



G: No, Andrew. We don't pretend that people are dead. How about we all have a dance party?



Lily excitedly starts making her doll dance. I less excitedly make my doll dance. Andrew makes his doll hit her head repeatedly on the roof of the house making screaming noises.





Do you get idea? -sigh- I fear that soon Lily and I will be outnumbered.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

It will be interesting to see how both of our Michaels play as they grow. I feel like Harper can be aggressive in her pretend play at times (she wasn't that way at Lily's age) and I don't worry about it because I feel like it is a "safe" way to test out things she wouldn't normally say. My younger brother, who grew up with TWO older siblings, was not aggressive at all until he was much older - but I wonder if he was influenced by having two older sisters? Sometimes I feel like it is so difficult to tell what is gender based and what is a result of temperament. . .

That's probably more of an earful that you were looking for - I'm glad you're having fun with Lily!

CARRIE said...

Sometimes I wish N would have her dolls do crazy shit. Usually they just want to ring the doorbell, which requires me to have to answer the doorbell. Or she has them arguing, and I have to play refereee (just like life).

d e v a n said...

hahaha! I hear you on outnumbered, except in my house? It's 4 to 1.