Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The mini-van

Because Erin asked, and because I don't have any great ideas for a post today, I will proceed to tell you the scintillating details of our mini-van set-up.

Last February, we traded in our faithful Ford Escape for a Honda Odyssey. We just couldn't fit 3 car seats in the Escape. Other than being depressed to have to find my gold mini-van amongst the sea of others in every parking lot, I am thrilled with this purchase. I highly highly recommend this particular car, for its ease in maneuvering, it's quiet ride, and all the fun little features it comes with. (Honda, you may send me a free mini-van any time for this free advertising).

So, seating arrangements. We have a middle set of captain's chairs and a back bench. We have taken out one of the captain's chairs. Andrew and Lily are on the back bench together. Michael is facing backwards in the remaining captain's chairs. This is why we do it this way:

1) No one is alone. With a sensitive little soul like Andrew, it was devastating to be back in the back alone. So Lily keeps him company, and Michael can watch them both.

2) I can load all the kids through one door. This is particularly wonderful during rainy weather, busy parking lots, or in our garage (which barely fits the van).

3) Where the missing captain's chair was, I am left with a large flat space. This is an excellent space for changing diapers, placing groceries, and occasionally even having a picnic.

4) When we suddenly need another seat for an adult, it is really easy to just pop in the captain's chair, and no body has to climb in the back.

5) With the missing chair, it is very simple for me to reach the back seats to buckle everybody in...I just climb in the car.

6) I can't reach Lily or Andrew to give them stuff. This was only a problem for about a week, and now they know that once the car is moving, I can't hand them stuff. Oh, how I love not being harassed for books, toys, snacks as we are driving.

So there you have it. The perfect set-up for our family.

4 comments:

Erin said...

BRILLIANT. Thank you! I love how they all face each other, like a little conference of kiddos.

I was especially intrigued about Michael's seat. It looks like it's on a platform, not a regular seat. I guess those captains seats transform, huh?

Very interesting.

Andrea said...

we have the same van (grey though)
I thought Ryan would like sitting alone but he doesn't! So now Rachel sits in the back by herself and the captains chairs are pushed together with Ryan in one and Joey in the other. Since we don't have a garage to store the extra set in we have chosen to not remove any seats (except the nifty 3rd seat from the second row)

d e v a n said...

We have a KIA, but have our seats set up the EXACT same way. It's perfect!

CARRIE said...

It is way UNCOOL to say this, but.....
I have MINI-VAN ENVY!