Thursday, November 06, 2008

Lost

I am missing 2 library books.

It is driving me CRAZY.

I teeter on the edge of chaos every day. But I am so busy holding onto sanity, that I don't notice how close to the edge I actually am. I fool myself into believing that I am juggling everything very well.

And then I can't find 2 library books. And I suddenly see how many holes are in my net.

I am making too many analogies. Too many metaphors. This isn't going to make any sense.

Back to the library books. Seriously. My only thought is that Lily threw them away.

Why would she throw books away? She loves books. It would be like throwing her night-night away. Inconceivable.

What the heck? I always check out exactly 10 books. I keep them in the computer room, away from all our other books. We have a special library bag so that I can keep them separate.

I looked in the car.

Under all the furniture.

Oh. Dear. God. I think I'm cracking.

I can see the news article now:

Mother Sent to Mental Hospital
A 31 year old Pennsylvania woman was carted away from her home this afternoon after losing her mind. She was found by her husband wandering around the house looking inside teacups and fishbowls muttering, "Maybe they are in here?" Her 3 children were screaming to be fed while sitting on an impossibly dirty and sticky floor. Authorities suspect her mental demise began with a lost library book. Due to the state of the house, it is assumed that she lost the library books months ago, a figure estimated from Dust-dating (a process similar to carbon dating).

Ugh. At least I have to start cleaning for playgroup tomorrow...that should distract me a bit.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Maybe they'll turn up when you're cleaning? That kind of thing frustrates me to no end. AND I can't let it go. For months we've been missing the alligator from our zoo set and I have a CD I can't find. Not the case, JUST the CD, wtf?

CARRIE said...

I do the same thing. And it isn't even about the missing item. It is about losing whatever semblance of "control" I thought I had over my small little universe.

Annie said...

Giselle, this is your second "Lost" title in a week. Everything ok?!

Keep it together, girl. It'll be all right. Does your library print a receipt of what you checked out? Maybe you only had 8?

Michelle said...

I had to laugh though I KNOW it is ot funny. I can not lose ANYTHING. It drives me insane. So much as a pacifier and I would be near tears when Reagyn was small. I get it. I hope the books turn up SOON!!!